Motherboard (system) boards
For a long time, the motherboard could be met exclusively in the computer system blocks, being their main element. Even today, the motherboard can be found in any digital device, whether it’s a TV, camera, smartphone or something else.
Motherboard, or the alternative name “system board”, is a kind of skeleton of a digital device. All other elements of the machine (from the processor to the peripheral devices) are connected to the system board.
Structure and components that are connected to the motherboard
The motherboard is a multilayer printing device based on fiberglass-fiber with a copper foil coating. The method of etching on the surface of the foil gives you original tracks that serve as conductors. It is these tracks, called information buses (BUS) that allow you to connect other devices to the motherboard.
The motherboard is always plentifully equipped with all kinds of connectors, mounts and ports on the ends of the tracks in order to install or change those or other components without difficulties.
The main purpose of the motherboard is to manage and switch the devices connected to it:
- Processors – one- or multi-core devices responsible for the amount of information processed, equipped with a cooling system due to overheating;
- A chipset of two bridges (north and south), responsible for monitoring the operation of peripherals and boards;
- Video boards;
- Sound and network boards;
- Data carriers (hard disks);
- Other slots and connectors for connecting other devices (monitor, printer, input devices, etc.).
Motherboards. Technical characteristics, and hence the capabilities of motherboards depend on several parameters:
- Generation of the main processor, which connects to the motherboard. You cannot connect a processor to the motherboard that does not match the motherboard’s generation. It just will not work.
- Processor’s clock speed. The motherboard within one generation is designed solely to support the operation of the processor in the same range, the expansion of which it cannot stand and will refuse to work.
- System bus frequency.
- Chipset. This indicator directly plays a role in the questions of what devices can be connected and with what parameters.
- Manufacturer company. As a rule, this indicator is not significant, although some manufacturers issue cards with the compatibility only for their own components.
- The form factor that determines the location of slots and microcircuits. In practice, there are various form factors of the AT, ATX and WTX models.
The size of the motherboard depends on the model of the housing of the electronic device and is produced strictly of a certain standard. The cost of motherboards directly depends on the brand of the manufacturer, capacity and capabilities of the motherboard.